Urban Forestry Specialist - AmeriCorps Service Position
Urban Forestry Specialist Position Available: Our City Forest AmeriCorps members will build capacity in the community by engaging volunteers and residents in cultivating plants and young trees at our nursery,planting and caring for trees in neighborhoods, schools and parks, and educating residents on environmental issues.
Members will build relationships with existing volunteers, and recruit and engage new ones. All Urban Forestry Specialists will strive to maximize volunteer participation in their individual programs, acting as trainers, coaches, schedulers, and project planners. Members will be trained on urban forestry best practices, and provide quality control and supervision for volunteers.
Other roles include conducting classroom and community presentation, providing detailed instruction for specialized volunteers, and representing Our City Forest at various community outreach events.
Technical training and experience gained as an Urban Forest Specialist will help prepare members for arborist certification (individuals will need additional education and/or experience for certification).
- Interest in affecting change through community organizing
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Must be available to work full-time Tuesday - Saturday 8AM- 5PM
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident, with a high school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum age: 18
- Must be available until the end of term in August 2015
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – one or more of the following:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Vietnamese, or other
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- College degree is highly desirable
- Valid CA drivers license
- Proficient in driving manual transmission and towing small trailers
- Current Commercial drivers license (to drive Tree Mobile for community events)
- Familiar with ornamental and native tree species ID
- FileMaker Pro & Adobe software knowledge
- MS Excel, MS Access, and GIS
Full time AMERICORPS Position -- Spring 2015 through the end of September 2015 (must be available for the entire term of service)
AmeriCorps service positions ($7,500 stipend/$2,600 ed award)
Our City Forest is a nonprofit urban forestry and environmental action organization. The focus of this program is to organize neighborhood and school tree care and tree planting projects, promote environmental education, and recruit and train volunteers. During this year of service, AmeriCorps members will directly contribute to the mission of creating a greener and healthier community.